Sunday 12 August 2012

The Teleportation Accident (an 'almost' review)

I never lay claim to having a vast level of intelligence, but, I am not uneducated.  So I thought nothing of it when I read the blurb for Ned Beauman's "The Teleportation Accident", it looked fun and unusual, always a good indication of an enjoyable read.  There is a slim chance I was very wrong here, this book made me feel rather uneducated as I would need to have a dictionary on my lap to make sense of Beauman's descriptive, rambling musings.

I am being a little unfair here, I didn't get far with this novel so there is a chance it is a work of complete brilliance and I shall never know of its delights.  I am a big fan of a good story, and when in the first few pages of a novel it doesn't feel as though a story really begins, I am unlikely to continue reading.  This is sadly how I found this novel, it is more a case of an author showing off his masterful grasp of language and vocabulary right from the starting line, and I just don't get on with that sort of thing.

I am sure Mr. Beauman is very deserving of being nominated for the Man Booker Longlist this year and I wish him the best of luck the running of the prize.  Maybe I shall revisit this when I can focus a bit more and have a little more time on my hands because the write up on the back sells it as a fascinating novel, but for now, I will stick to some lighter reads more suited to my level of understanding.

Perhaps this is a good read for someone that has inhaled a dictionary, so enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment